Thursday 14 October 2010

Welsh Canoe Symposium

Each year there is an open canoe symposium, it rotates on a three yearly cycle between England, Scotland and Wales - this year it was the turn of the Welsh. It's quite an honour to be asked to work at these events so I was happy to get an invite to coach at this one again this year. The Welsh event is traditionally held at the Urdd Centre Glanllyn on the banks of Llyn Tegid (Bala Lake). It's a fantastic venue for a great event, waterside facilities, close to the Tryweryn and other North Wales rivers. Accomodation is excellent as is the food, with camping close by for the hardy types! There are workshops over both days for all abilities and tastes and very entertaining talks in the evenings.


Glanllyn - My first workshop on Saturday morning was improvised sailing, using the wind to blow you along, using whatever bits of kit you happen to have to hand - all open boaters have a brollie about their person - don't they? Then we played around with cags on paddles, tarps on poles, survival bags etc - Then we played around with some slightly less 'improvised' sailing - not much room on that little 15 footer with the Jolly Roger flapping around!My second sessios was Deep water strokes which really was an excuse to take my Northern Sound Birch Abenaki out for some paddle waggling! - I found Alex out there with another one of Rob's Northern Sound Birch canoesThe next day I went for a more sporty day on the Lower tryweryn, unfortunately the camera battery was flat so no photos of that!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil,
    I have added a video of photos to the Welsh Canoe Symposium facebook page and the adventurelifelinks page.... there are shots of the Lake and the River Dee on the Sunday.
    For anyone seeing themselves and looking to download the photos, there will be a Welsh Canoe Symposium album on my adventurelifelinks facebook page for them!
    Great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,
    My name is Laurence Hadley and I have been in Australia since 1950. Iwas born in London the 30/08/1942. My grandfather Edward Hadley was born in Dudley in 1883. I'm trying to find out his Mum and Dad and dates. My dad is Cyril Hadley born 1919 in Kent. I have a bit of info on Edward Hadley He joined the South Wales Borderers "24th foot" in about 1902 andthen went to Canada around 1912. He was married in 1911 in Kent to Dora Mary Barratt-Rush. She went to Canada with him but came back to England in 1919 just before my dad was born. Edward stayed in Canada for awhile then came home but he went be again. Edward is a very hard man to follow. Thanks Phil for your time, Warmest regards Laurie.
    PS: I wonder if we are connected Phil?

    ReplyDelete